First they started off by introducing the instrument types (strings, woodwinds, brass, and percussion). Then each of the instruments in that group played a little selection so that they students could hear what the instrument sounded like. I think the favorite was the french horn because he played the Star Wars theme.
There was a selection of music from all over the world so that they students could hear a variety of music. Here's a list of songs that were performed:
- The Star-Spangled Banner by Francis Scott Key
- Duke Ellington Medley (USA)
- William Tell Overture by Gioachino Rossini (Italy)
- O Mio Babbino Caro by Giacomo Puccini (Italy)
- 3 Nigerian Dances by Samuel Akpabot (Nigeria)
- Tico Tico by Zequinha de Abreu (Brazil)
- Symphony No. 4 by Pyotr llyich Tchaikovsky (Russia)
- Finale - "When the Saints Go Marching In"
This is a little video of a few pictures that were taken by a few moms with their cell phones at the performance. The music you hear in the background was the actual opera performace of "O Mio Babbino Caro" that was recorded my a mom's cell phone as well.
Some of our group